The infamous ‘Bikini Killer’ is one of the most famous serial killers and fraudsters of the 20th century. He apparently wooed his victims with his charisma. Between 1972 and 1982, he was implicated in more than 20 killings. All his victims were drugged, strangled, beaten or burned.
Here are 10 lesser known facts about the ‘Charming Killer’
1. He was born to an Indian father and Vietnamese mother. Sobhraj’s parents were unmarried and his father later denied any sort of paternity to him.
2. As a teenager, he began to commit petty crimes and eventually was imprisoned in France for burglary in 1963.
3. He was fluent in several languages. He is also an expert in gems and psychology.
4. His first known murder victim was an American woman named Teresa Knowlton, who was found in a tidal pool in the Gulf of Thailand.
5. He followed a similar fashion in hunting his victims. He used to let his charm work its magic on people; he befriended them and later either drugged and looted them or killed them.
6. Sobhraj has very much banked on his notoriety by charging huge sums of money for interviews and film rights.
7. During his stay in Tihar jail, he is said to have an affair with his lawyer Sneha Sneger.
8. During his trial in Nepal, he also got engaged to his lawyer’s daughter Nihita Biswas. The two allegedly married in jail, though Nepalese authorities deny that.
9. Earlier Charles Sobhraj was jailed for crimes like theft of cars and non-payment of bills, his undoing proved to be the attempted poisoning of French students in Delhi in 1976.
10. He also got the name The Serpent due to his numerous jail escape attempts.