Lt General Anil Chauhan (Retired) has been appointed as the next Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) as well as the Secretary to Government of India, Department of Military Affairs on Wednesday.
“Govt of India appoints Lt General Anil Chauhan (Retired) as the next Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) who will also function as Secretary to Government of India, Department of Military Affairs,” stated the Defence Ministry.
In his 40 years’ worth of experience, Lt Gen Anil Chauhan help multiple command, staff, and instrumental posts and gained a hand at counter-insurgency operations in Jammu & Kashmir and the north-east.
Here are some facts about Lt Gen Anil Chauhan,
- Lt Gen Anil Chauhan was placed in the 11 Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army in 1982.
- He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy in Khandakwasla and the Indian Military Academy Dehradun.
- While being the Major general, he commanded an Infantry division in the Baramula sector in the Northern Command.
- He consistently contributed to National security and strategic matters after retirement.
- He praises the city of Kolkata for playing a crucial role in shaping his personality. He also graduated from Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kolkata.
- He commanded a corps in the North East as Lt General and later became the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command from September 2019.
- Other than his command duties, he was also given important staff appointments such as the charge of Director General of Military Operations.
The appointment to the post of CDS comes nine months after India’s first CDS, General Bipin Rawat was killed in a helicopter crash in Tamil Nadu. Simultaneously, the government is making an effort to boost local manufacturing of defense equipment.