Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah announced a roll-out of all the five guarantees promised by the Congress party before the Karnataka Assembly Elections 2023.
The decision comes days after finalising the portfolios to the appointed ministers. Siddaramaiah stated that the cabinet decided to implement the guarantees promised by the party leading to the elections. He also reiterated the fact that the implementation will be done without any discrimination on the basis of caste or religion.
The five guarantees promised by the Siddaramaiah led government are as followed:
- Gruha Lakshmi – Rs. 2,000 monthly assistance to the woman head of every family
- Gruha Jyoti – 200 units of free power to all the households.
- Anna Bhagya – 10kg of rice free to every member of BPL household.
- Yuva Nidhi – Rs. 3,000 every month for unemployed graduates and Rs. 1,500 for unemployed diploma holders (between the age group 18-25) for two years.
- Shakti – Free travel for women in public transport buses
According to reports, the beneficiaries will have to submit their Aadhar details and Bank account numbers online for the Gruha Lakshmi Scheme. The applications for the same are expected to begin from June 15 to July 15.
Congress stormed back to power after losing power in 2019. The DK Shivakumar led Congress unit in the state was able to win over 135 seats, which helped the party gain a single handed majority in the elections. Unlike the last elections, the other two major parties, i.e, JD(S) and BJP, did not have a role to play in making or breaking the government in the state.