Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and Samajwadi Party Founder Mulayam Singh Yadav passed away today. The 82-year-old veteran politician, born November 22, 1939, was a senior Indian politician and the supremo of the Samajwadi Party.
Here are 7 lesser-known facts about the former SP Patriarch
1. Mulayam Singh Yadav was born to Murti Devi and Sughar Singh in the village Saifai of Etawah district of Uttar Pradesh.
2. He was a member of Lok Sabha, representing the Mainpuri constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
3. Before entering the political fray, Mulayam was a teacher with a passion for wrestling but he rose to high political ranks at a very early age.
4. Mulayam Singh Yadav won his first election to the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly in 1967. Yadav was elected Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the first time in 1989.
5. Mulayam was an ardent follower of Socialist leader Raj Narain who defeated Indira Gandhi in the 1977 Lok Sabha Elections from the Rae Bareli constituency.
6. When Mulayam Singh Yadav contested assembly ‘by-polls’ for the Gunnau Assembly sear in January 2004, he won by a record margin and got almost 92% of the total votes.
7. He completed his Bachelors in Art, B.T and M.A in Political Science from K K College in Etawah, A K College in Shikohabad, and B R College of Agra University, Agra, respectively.