Mithali Raj is one of the greatest female cricketers the country has ever had. She played cricket for over 23 years and announced her retirement on Wednesday, 8th June 2022. Mithali ended her spectacular career with a record of 7805 runs in 232 ODIs. She was successful in representing India in 89 T20 Internationals and 12 tests.
Before signing off from her career she thanked BCCI & her coach for all the support they provided her. She then thanked her fans for all the love and left some motivating words for the budding cricketers, “This journey may have ended but another one beckons as I’d love to stay involved in the game I love and contribute to the growth of women’s Cricket in India and world over.”
Here are some fun facts to remember Mithali Raj,
- Mithali Raj is an Indian women’s cricket Test and ODI captain.
- She was only 16 when she became the youngest player to score an ODI hundred.
- Before turning her attention toward cricket, Mithali was a Bharatnatyam dancer.
- In her debut match against Ireland, she scored a total of 114 runs.
- The batswoman has led India in the highest number of ODIs.
- Mithali is the first woman to score 7 consecutive 50s in ODI.
- She also holds the record for the most 90s in ODI.
- Mithali is the first woman to win the ‘Wisden India Cricketer of the year’, in 2015.
- Mithali’s brilliant play also won the country 2 Asian Cups.
- She is the holder of the Arjuna award and the Padma Shri award.
Article by Haniah Mirza
Featured image source: The Indian Express