Bollywood stars are known for making unconventional choices in life and are often admired for breaking existing taboos of society. Such social change happens gradually. Bollywood stars seem to take the first step. Let us look at some of those ‘changes’:
- Alia Bhatt wearing a white saree: For her bridal look, she embraced traditions but with a dash of contemporary fashion. She wore a Sabyasachi lahenga with quintessential red for ivory and gold and successfully managed to make a bold wedding fashion statement.
- Katrina Kaif’s sisters held ‘phoolon ki chadar’. In traditional wedding ceremonies, the chadar is usually held up by men of the family for the bride. However, at Katrina’s wedding, her six sisters held the chadar as she made her bridal entry.
It is said that change comes slowly and subtly in a society & these Bollywood stars are taking the first step toward change.
From ditching kanyadaan to applying sindoor on groom's forehead, take a look at these Bollywood brides who broke all stereotypes.https://t.co/MN93k9niLa
— ETimes Lifestyle (@ETimesLifestyle) April 25, 2022
- Patralekha applied sindoor to Rajkummar Rao: Rajkumar was flaunting sindoor on his forehead at his wedding. Traditionally, the groom puts a sindoor on the bride’s head. Here, as Rao put the sindoor on Partalekha’s head, he insisted that she put the sindoor on his forehead too.
- Dia Mirza ditched kanyadaan At her wedding: Dia decided to do away with traditional customs ‘kanyadaan’ and ‘bidai’. And unlike usual weddings, her wedding rituals were performed by a priestess.
- Neena Gupta getting married at 50: She not only plays inspiring characters on screen but is an inspiration in real life too. The actress has lived her life on her own terms & never hesitated to break stereotypes. She is happily married to a chartered accountant-Vivek Mehra.
- Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas age gap: Priyanka is 10 years older than Nick and they are an adorable couple. They broke the traditional stereotype wherein women marry older men. Their love shows that age is just a number.
However, such weddings must be taken with a pinch of salt as customs have their own place, and breaking every stereotype is not necessarily ‘progressive’.
Reference: Twitter, Entertainment Times
Featured Image Source: Pinkvilla