The Indian music industry suffered yet another shock as playback singer Krishnakumar Kunnath died after Punjabi Singer Sidhu Moose Wala’s murder. KK’s voice was god gifted. Though he is no more in this world, he is sure to remain among all of us, especially his fans.
Let us look at the top 10 facts about the singer-songwriter:
1. KK worked in the hotel industry before moving to Mumbai in 1994 to pursue music. In an interview shared on Sony Music India’s channel, KK shared that he credits his wife Jyoti for her support to pursue his dreams.
2. Initially, KK took a sales job just to marry his lady love. However, after a couple of months, he got frustrated. Fortunately, with the support of his family, he went on to pursue his passion for music.
3. Before his first song was released, KK had to struggle, as he sang about 3,500 jingles for advertisements.
Credits: The Indian Express
4. KK had shared in an interview with Bollywood Hungama, that Hariharan once spotted him while he was singing in Delhi. It was here that the veteran singer motivated KK to shift to Mumbai.
5. KK’s debut song in Hindi movies was “Chod Aaye Hum Voh Galiyan” from Maachis. His co-singers were Hariharan, Suresh Wadkar, and Vinod Sehgal. The song was a runaway success.
6. KK was heavily influenced by Kishore Kumar. In an interview with the Times of India, KK had shared that Kishore Da was one of his early influences.
7. KK was not a trained classical musician. Though he visited a music school it was not something that he really wanted to do, so his father did not push him. The singer had shared that he used to learn a song just by listening to it. Later, when he came to know that Kishore Kumar had never learned music, he had all the more reasons for not attending music classes.
— Business Standard (@bsindia) May 31, 2022
8. KK was not restricted to just Hindi songs. He sang in multiple languages and is remembered as a versatile singer. He sang in Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Kannada, Bengali, Malayalam, Gujarati, and Assamese as well.
9. Despite being a successful musician, he never appeared as a reality show judge, except for once. He was one of the jury members on the television reality show Fame Gurukul, where Arijit Singh got his first brush with fame.
10. Though KK’s songs have always been chartbusters, the singer was never lucky enough to win awards. He got only 3 to 4 awards for his work throughout his music career.
References; Indian Express, News18
Featured Image Source: Siasat