T.V. Mohandas Pai, recipient of the Padma Shri Award, tragically passed away due to age-related ailments on 31st July.
He has played a variety of roles throughout his life but he is best known as the chairman of Manipal Global Education, the former CFO of Infosys, one of India’s top start-up angel investors, and one of the country’s most virtuous philanthropists.
- He co-founded Akshaya Patra Foundation, one of the largest midday meal programmes in the world.
- The “Employee Stock Option Plan” (ESOP), which allowed Infosys employees to participate in and subsequently share in the company’s wealth, was introduced by him. It was among the largest stock option programmes in the nation.
- He was a member of the Kelkar Committee, which was established by the Ministry of Finance, the Government of India, the Non-Resident Taxation Committee, and the High-Powered Committee on eCommerce and Taxation to reform direct taxes.
- He recieved the prestigious Karnataka Rajyotsava Award by the Government of Karnataka (2004)
- He served on the International Accounting Standards Board — International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) Foundation Board of Trustees under Paul Volcker.
- In addition, he played a key role in the establishment of more than ten different funds that invest in venture, growth, and public markets.
- He co-leads Aarin Capital, a private equity fund that makes investments in life sciences and education companies, with Ranjan Pai (CEO of the Manipal group).